Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 18: Sovereign God


Sovereign God

I can’t seem to get the images out of my mind.  A fiery crash, cars launched into the air, debris everywhere.  It was a race car driver’s wife’s worst nightmare.  I know, because I am one.  Sunday’s crash at the Indy Car race in Las Vegas makes part of me thankful that current circumstances prevent my husband from racing.

Fifteen cars were involved. 

Fourteen drivers survived. 

One did not.

So many questions swirl through the media . . . was the track too fast?  Should they be racing on ovals at speeds over 220 mph?  Who was at fault?

But there are even deeper questions . . . why would God allow this to happen?  why would he leave a wife to raise her two young sons alone?  Where was He?

The easy answer is He was right there at that track.  I’m afraid, though, that there are no easy answers to the question, “why”?

We serve a Sovereign God who does not allow anything to come into our path that He does not filter through His mighty hand. 

A God whose thoughts are not our thoughts and whose ways are not our ways.

When I replayed the footage of the crash, I thought to myself that it was a miracle that more drivers were not seriously injured.  Proof that a merciful God was there.

Why He choose to allow Dan Wheldon to die, we will never know.

When bad things happen we must rely on the promises of our Sovereign God.

“I will not leave you or forsake you”

“I will work all things for good”

“I have appointed a time for everything under the heavens”

I cannot imagine the grief that is being felt by Dan’s widow, family and friends.  Would you please pray for them over the coming weeks and months?  Pray that God would send people to comfort them and that He would give them peace that can only come from Him.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post, Heather (and touching photograph). May God reveal Himself to this family and surround them with His comfort and peace.
    Blessings to you~
    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...